Wednesday, May 6th- The City of Rapid City, hosted by the Parks and Recreation Department, Presented Strider’s own Marty Martinez for the Commuter of the Year Award. In honor of National Bike Month the city holds an annual Bike to School Competition. Despite the rainy conditions, 76 students participated in the event.
The Parks Department notified Kent Jacobs, Strider US Sales Manager in advance of his award, and they must know how we love a great surprise!
Marty said “I get this text from Ryan [Strider founder, chief enthusiast and CEO] saying he needs some help picking out a bike for Kristi [Ryan’s wife] at Black Hills Bikes. He said it would give us a chance to “talk“so I was kinda sweating bullets you know?! Boss needs help picking out a bike and wants to “talk”. So we get in the truck and head on down toward the bike shop, we get in the turn lane to go into Founder Park. Still no clue of about what’s to go down. When we get out I notice the Strider van as we are walking I see Charlie [Strider QC] and start wondering what kind of event does he have planned? Then I see my Wife Julie with my youngest daughter, that’s when Ryan said that I had won the Commuter of the Year Award, I’m still not buying into it, but then more and more people start to show and well, the rest is in the books.”
Based upon his Strava statistics, he is averaging 65 miles per week and has logged nearly 1,000 miles since January 1. He averages about 20 days of biking to work each month, “not counting the fun rides in the forest with friends.” Marty says he isn’t training for anything right now, (although he has been known to kick butt in a race or two) but has the Xterra Aspen Valley and Xterra Buffalo on his radar.
He said one main reason he started commuting is because he made a deal with his daughter that if she got a job he would let her buy his Subaru. Of course she took him up on his offer…
Since his award last week, we received an email from Ryan letting the Strider Headquarters Staff know that Marty will be moving away from Striderville at the end of this month. Marty’s wife Julie had an amazing opportunity to take a new job in Boulder Colorado, and with their family’s love for the outdoors and skiing, Colorado seems like the perfect place for them. Thankfully though, we are excited to say that Marty will continue to represent the Strider Brand as an account executive from his new home in the Rocky Mountains.
Best of luck, Marty, on your new adventures. Stride On!
What do all of the following have in common?
1. An 80 year old granddad riding his cruiser in green skinny jeans.
2. Two elderly couples holding hands.
3. Five fly fisherman wearing muddy camouflage waders.
4. A mother holding her 9 month pregnant belly in one hand, and her cell phone in the other… Just in case.
5. A high-fiving co-worker.
6. The tiniest little Chihuahua I’ve ever seen keeping up just fine.
7. A beautiful women covered in tattoos and sporting red lipstick pushing her twins in a stroller.
8. Three STRIDER Balance Bikes.
9. Zero training wheels. Progress.
The Answer: All of these were on the bike path at last Friday in STRIDERville. Spring is just around the corner and there are so many people out enjoying this BEAUTIFUL weather! I hope you get a chance to do the same!
P.S. It's going to snow tonight...we need the moisture...
Strider Bikes is proud to announce their partnership with The Friendship Circle of Michigan, a non-profit organization that provides programs and support to families and individuals with special needs.
For the third consecutive year Friendship Circle is holding the Great Bike Giveaway, a national contest giving away adaptive bikes to children with special needs. Bike companies from around the U.S. are donating bikes to the children and young adults who need them most, and Strider is excited to be able to join in on the fun!
Here’s how it works; Each bike page has a space where users can enter the contest. You can submit a picture of your child with special needs along with a short explanation of why your child needs an adaptive bike. One bike in each contest will be given away to the entry with the most nominations. Nominations are received from friends and family clicking the “nominate button” on your post. So share, share, and share some more!
Meet Eddie! Strider Bikes Director of Sourcing, who literally travels around the world to help make STRIDER Bikes the best that they can be!
- I lived in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness-(Detroit, Oregon) – 5 days/ 4nights a week during the summer for 3 years
- I fought forest fires and became a 20 person crew leader for 4 years.
- I tried to derail a train as a kid with plywood – ‘epic failure’! That would be considered a good failure…
- My Dad gave me my first car when I turned 13 – Coupe Deville Cadillac – ‘No License’, but I was the man!-(boy)
- I screwed up the first song I ever sang in high school and blamed it on my piano teacher. Pretty obvious who actually forgot the words!
- I sang in a Taiwanese Band when I lived in Taipei, Taiwan
- I met my wife singing in a Karaoke Contest on her 21st birthday. I won – because I was damn good –sort of
- I will have been married 20 years, as of March, 2014… Just shoot me and get it over with!!! Haha
- I used to be a runner and I THOUGHT I enjoyed it! Now look at me!!! What the heck happened?!!!
- My Nike Relay Team was ranked in the top 50 of the largest 12 person relay team in the world-(at that time) – 191 miles - Hood to Coast – Oregon. Finished in less than 24 hrs! Proof Pics below.
To view Eddie's full staff bio and to check out the rest of the Strider staff click HERE!
Meet Terry, Strider Controller Extraordinaire!
- I met my husband on Match.com.
- Kids in my family share a middle name with my dad, Gary Lee (girls spelled differently): We are Richard Lee, Terry Lea and Shari Lea.
- I am a freelance writer.
- My husband and I pray together every morning.
- I parachuted three times. The first time I landed bottom-down in a puddle, but no one believed me—they thought I peed my pants.
- When I retire, I am going to auctioneer school.
- I’ve run two marathons (and a bunch of half-marathons) including New Orleans, Kauai, Virginia Beach, Las Vegas and Jamaica since turning 50.
- I hiked the entire Centennial Trail in one winter.
- I am a member of the Leadership Rapid City class of 2011.
- I love dogs!
- I worked my way through High School and College as an Alligator Wrestler and Snake Handler Showperson at Reptile Gardens.
- I’m a fanatic about stereo systems both in my car and at home…I’m very picky about sound!
- Case in point….the first two cars I owned and drove both had their back seats removed…and replaced wall to wall with MTX subwoofers.
- I met my wonderful wife when she rolled up in her Mustang 5.0 cruising 8th Street and asked me for a ride on my motorcycle.
- Kent is my middle name! Our family has a tradition, for no particular reason, of going by our middle names.
- Father: Charles Timothy Jacobs
- Me: Timothy Kent Jacobs
- My Son: Kent Austin Jacobs
- I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from SDSM&T
- When I’m at home and walk outside at night…I sometimes howl at the moon :P
- For my entire childhood I never had to pay to play arcade games or pinball machines (the REAL arcade games that most people would drop a quarter in). My dad was an amusement and vending machine repair man. Free games!!! Mr.Do!
- I own 4 sets of wheels and tires for my Subaru. Not 4 tires…16 tires and 16 wheels... for one car. Each has their purpose. I guess you could say I’m fanatic about tires too :P
- I’ve always wished I was Superman “Clark KENT” and I often have dreams that I’m flying or floating.
Visit Kent's staff Bio HERE to learn more about him and the rest of the Strider staff!
I’m not sure anyone knows exactly how much coffee we drink here at STRIDER… But it’s a lot.
Nothing like a little donut sugar rush and caffeine jolt to start the day!
Cheers from all of us here at STRIDER Headquarters, may your veins be filled with caffeinated goodness, and may your access to donuts be readily available- Have a great day!
Hola! Bonjour! Ciao! Hallo! Ahoj! Kaixo! Γεια σας! Dia duit! Hello!
Calling all European motorcycling enthusiasts! Stop by booth #i85 in hall 10P of the 17th annual International Motorcycle Exhibition in Milan to say, Ciao!
Whether you are a dealer looking to expand your sales or public that is coming out to check out the latest and greatest, we would love to see you. We are specifically looking to add some additional STRIDER sub-distributors throughout Europe.
- I grew up in Steamboat Springs Colorado.
- I love to hunt and fish with my family.
- Denver Broncos are my favorite NFL Team.
- I am not Spanish, even though my last name is Martinez.
- I was adopted.
- I lived in a school bus.
- My favorite color is green.
- Jack Kerouac's On The Road is my favorite book.
- My favorite band is Social Distortion.
- I am in the elusive 100 days of skiing club the "Ski Bum Club."
4 Year Old STRIDER
1 Gage Ott
2 Payton Robinson - Findlay, OH
3 Lilani Pringle - Team Profile/Crit Plate, Archer, FL
4 Matthew Jahnke - Team Answer/SSquared/TLD - North Prairie, WI
5 Maxwell Lukemire - Columbus, OH
6 Collin Momper - Team Potter Plates/Dan's Comp - Jonesboro, GA
7 Kolton Mockobee - Boonville, IN
8 Madison Whitehead - Davison, MI
3 Year Old STRIDER
1 Canon Rhodes - Vine Grove, KY
2 Evan "The Destroyer" Okey - Team Answer/Rennen - Libertyville, IL
3 Grant Bandy - Team Profile/Hooker Bikes - Suffolk, VA
4 Easton Weckman - Louisville, KY
5 Kenny Grabow - Covington, KY
6 Kiera Mockobee - Boonville, IN
7 Jacob Whitehead - Davison, MI
8 Isobel "Izzi" Boorom - Team Iron Pony Motorsports - Delaware, OH
2 & UNDER STRIDER
1 Grant Carmichael - Valparaiso, IN
2 Emma Jester - Ozark, MO
3 Gavin "The Beast" Strain - Team Bluegrass/GHP/Dan's Comp - Indianapolis, IN
4 Kalia "Rum Bum" Pringle - Team Profile Racing - Archer, FL
5 Gunnar Trimolt - Team ZMX Racing - Munster, IN